Saturday, April 22, 2006

My Date With Keyva

I changed clothes four times. Eld. Franklin told me that each outfit was cool, but I kept changing. Sis. Franklin yelled, "You are worse than a woman boy! Don't make me pick out an outfit for you."

Eld. Franklin and I laughed. Carlton gave me one of his teddy bears to give to Keyva as a present. His father told him that I couldn't give Keyva an old ratty looking bear. Carlton ran crying to his mother.

Sis. Franklin walked in the room and gave Eld. Franklin a crazy look. She looked at the outfit I had on and said, "That's the one you are wearing. Don't change clothes again." I didn't change either.

Eld. Franklin handed me the keys to his car. I looked at him like I was crazy. He said, "You can use my car tonight." I started crying. I have gotta stop doing that. He said, "Stop crying. I ain't giving you the car cause I like you. I am giving it to you so that you want be tempted to do anything nasty in the preacher's car." That made me laugh.

Sis. Franklin gave me one last look before I left the house. She straightened out my collar. Eld. Franklin told her to leave me alone. Carlton walked me to the door. He handed me his teddy bear and told me to give it to Keyva. The little guy is cool, too.

I drove over to Keyva's house. I got there 15 minutes early. I was nervous.

I met her uncle and grandmother. Her grandmother gave me a good stare down. She looked like she had been on the earth for along time. She had a raspy voice when she asked, "Can you play the organ?" I said, "Yes, mame." She said, "You any good?" I said, "Yes, mame." She said, "Uhh huh. I'll have to judge for myself." She left the room.

Keyva finally came into the living room. She looked great. She had on a blue outfit. I almost fell out.

She hugged me and told me that she liked my outfit. It was cool.

Her uncle took some pictures of us. I felt goofy. Keyva kept telling her uncle to quit taking pictures.

We finally left Keyva's house. When we got into the car, she saw the flowers, candy, and Carlton's teddy bear sitting on the seat. She smiled. She looked at the teddy bear like I was crazy for giving it to her. I looked at her and said, "Carlton thought that you would like it." She laughed.

The ride was great. We mostly listened to music. She sung most of the way there. It was cool.

We ended up at this piano bar. I looked at Keyva like she was crazy. She laughed at me. We went in and three or four people ran up to Keyva and hugged her. I found out that she sung at the piano bar sometimes. I gave her another crazy look. She laughed again.

We just barely got a seat when a guy walked up to the stage and said, "Tonight we have a treat, Keyva Palmer is here and she is going to sing for us." The crowd went crazy. Keyva smiled at me and went up to the stage.

Keyva sung three or four songs. She had the crowd rocking. She sung a lot of old songs from the 60s and 70s. It was so cool. She did a lot of Amanda Jacobs' songs. It was great. I was impressed. My boo can sang something fierce. I half expected Keyva to ask me to come play for her, but she never did.

When she finished singing, she got a standing ovation. It was so cool. She walked back over to the table and sat down. She was breathing hard. She said, "I don't think they will ask me to sing anymore, so we shouldn't be bothered anymore." I smiled at her and told her how great she was. She blushed. A waitress walked over to the table and gave Keyva a cup of tea.

Keyva looked great. An overwhelming urge to kiss her came over me. She said my name and asked me what was wrong with me. I didn't answer her. She just shook her head at me.

The same guy who had announced Keyva on the stage came over to the table. He sat down with us. Keyva introduced us. The guy said, "Girl, you sang. Do you feel like singing some more?" Keyva looked at me. I looked at the guy and said, "We are here on a date. Can you give her a break tonight?" The guy was like, "I suppose so. It's not me, it's the people. They wanna hear her sing. Blame them." Keyva stared into space. I said, "Give her a break man. This is our first date." The guy made a face and then left. Keyva gave me a kiss on the jaw and whispered in my ear, "Thanks." Why did I blush?

For the rest of the night we listened to the band play and a couple of other people sing. We ate and danced a little. I am not a very good dancer. She laughed at me and then said, "Let's sit down. I see why you play." I laughed, too.

Confession
I was having a good time. This was my first real date. I went to the prom in high school with a girl at school who couldn't get another date. That was a disaster. I had gotten something to eat with a couple of girls at school, but that wasn't really much. I guess I didn't want to date much because of my family life. Why am I so embarrassed by my family life? Forget that. This is supposed to be a positive entry.

Back to the story
It was getting close to 11:00 PM. I asked Keyva what time she had to be home. She told me that she didn't have a set time to be home. I told her that I thought we should leave. I didn't want to have her out all night. I didn't want anyone to think that we were doing anything ungodly. (If you know what I mean.)

She was cool with leaving. She said bye to a couple of people and then we left. We didn't talk much on the ride home. She was quiet, so I didn't say much.

We got to her house. She asked me if I wanted to come in for awhile. I told her no. I just walked her to the door. I had to carry most of her stuff for her. She stopped before she opened the door and smiled at me. She said, "I had a great time tonight. I didn't know that they were going to ask me to sing." I smiled back and said, "It's okay. I enjoyed hearing you sing." She laughed and said, "I bet. You should learn how to dance." We both laughed. She said, "Are you gonna try to kiss me?" I was shocked. I couldn't believe she asked me that. I said, "No." She made a mean face and said, "Okay. Goodnight." She went into the house before I could say goodbye.

I drove home smiling. I think she wanted me to kiss her. I wanted to, but I didn't want to kiss her on her front porch with her family in there. Oh well, I am a big chicken.

I finally made it home. Eld. Franklin, Sis. Franklin, and Carlton were waiting up for me and it was after midnight when I got home. When I walked in the door, Carlton ran over to me and hugged me. He said, "Did Keyva like my bear?" I told him that he did. He jumped up and down and ran off to his room.

Eld. and Sis. Franklin waited for me to sit down. I started to just go to my room, but I figured that they would just follow me in the room. After I sat down, Sis. Franklin said, "Did you really give Keyva that nasty bear?" I told her yes. She shook her head and then said, "Did you kiss her?" I made a face and said, "No mame." Sis. Franklin stood up and said, "Chicken," as she left the room.

Eld. Franklin punched me in the arm. He said, "You are smiling, so that means you had a good time." I said, "Yes sir, I did." He asked, "Are you gonna tell me about the date or do I have to read your blog to find out about it?" He laughed as he got up and left.

I can't wait until our next date.

M.B.Vick


Micha by: avatars.yahoo.com